What can you do to participate?
- Contact CALCASA if you wish to participate SAAM events taking place throughout California. CALCASA can connect you with any of the state’s 85 rape crisis centers.
- Informing friends and family via social networks such as Twitter and Facebook.
- Inviting people in your community to join you at crisis center events.
- Participate in Denim Day – April 21
Facts and figures
A study by the Centers for Disease Control in 2008 found that:
- 11 percent of women and 2 percent of men reported experiencing forced sex at some point in their lives.
- 1 in 4 women reported experiencing an attempted or completed rape while they were in college.
- 60 percent of female and 70 percent of male victims were first raped before the age of 18.
- Sexual assaults represented 10 percent of all assault-related injury visits to emergency departments by females in 2006.
For more information about what you can do to participate, visit CALCASA’s SAAM 2010 page.