Here is a guest blog by Cordelia Anderson and Joan Tabachnick, co-hosts of the Ending Child Sexual Abuse (ECSA) Web Conference Series that CALCASA’s national project PreventConnect is co-sponsoring with Ms. Foundation for Women.
“Ending child sexual abuse is one of the most strategic things we can do to improve the lives of women and communities.”
Given the frequency of sexual abuse against children and the life-long impact of that abuse, focusing on child sexual abuse prevention makes sense. Among the approaches that MFW supports are those that move beyond traditional child-focused strategies and instead, engage adults and communities in prevention efforts.
As just one part of their broad efforts, the Ending Child Sexual Abuse (ECSA) Web Conference Series is designed to bring the best thinking, programs, and insights they have seen to a larger community of stakeholders. Through this exciting new partnership with us (Cordelia and Joan), Prevent-Connect, and most importantly – all of you – we hope to build a stronger and more effective movement to end child sexual abuse. The goals of this series are to:
- Raise visibility and dialogue within prevention community
- Engage new communities in this movement
- Increase knowledge, resources and strategic action on child sexual abuse
Over the next nine months, we plan to cover the following exciting topics:
- Including Child Sexual Abuse in the Sexual Violence Prevention Movement
- Media and Prevention
- Preventing the Perpetration of Child Sexual Abuse
- Voices of Experience: the role of direct experiences in social change
- Healthy Sexuality and Caring Connections: Foundations for Prevention
- Policies Promoting and Derailing Prevention
- Depictions of Children in Media and Pornography: Implications for Prevention
- Activism in Prevention
- Using Art as a Catalyst for Social Change and Social Action
Look on the MFW or the PreventConnect websites for dates and time and more details. And if you miss one of them, don’t worry! Both the slides and audio are available to anyone.
We hope you will join us for one of these future web conferences. Sign-up to learn more about upcoming sessions.