LEAP Project Cohort Application Deadline Extended to Sept. 26th – Apply Now!
CALCASA, in partnership with the Women of Color Network (WOCN), is providing an extension for submissions of the Cohort Application for the LEAP (Leadership, Education, and Advancement for Professionals) Project with the primary goal of enhancing the professional skills of women of color in the anti-violence against women field. This project is supported by Grant # 2012-TA-AX-K048 awarded by the Office on Violence Against Women (OVW), US Department of Justice.
The LEAP Project is designed to provide an interactive, comprehensive training and practicum for each Cohort to develop and enhance their leadership and management skills to enable them to undertake and succeed in leadership/management roles in the field. The project is designed to meet the needs of those who are recently serving in a supervisory, management or executive capacity within the anti-violence against women field, or for those who are in the process of transitioning into such positions.
We are seeking 22 Women of Color Cohorts from across the nation and US territories who are currently working in the anti-violence against women field through a competitive application process (see attached application). Potential Cohorts must be employed at a sexual assault and/or domestic violence victim services agency as either:
a) A, executive director, manager or supervisor who has been working at their DV or SA organization for at least a year and has experience supervising staff; OR
b) A program coordinator or manager who has been in her/his current position for less than 1 year; OR
c) A member of the Board of Director of a DV or SA organization for at least 1 year; OR
d) A direct service advocate and/or front line staff who has worked in the sexual assault or domestic violence field for minimum of 1 year, has supervisory or managerial responsibilities and is looking to transition into a management or executive position.
Applicants must show commitment to the sexual assault and/or domestic violence intervention and prevention field and developing diverse agencies and programs that include women of color and individuals from underserved/under-represented communities. Each Cohort is expected to fully take part in the entire LEAP program. If selected, the Cohort will receive the following over a 12 -month period (November 2013 – September 2014):
- Subscription to the LEAP listserv to network with other LEAP cohorts, staff, consultants, and mentors. Each LEAP cohort will be assigned a specific TA coordinator/staff. Participate in one 2-part, intensive Leadership Academies:
- Part 1 LEAP Academy consisting of 3 days to be held on November 18 – 20, 2013 in Sacramento, California (dates to be confirmed).
- Part 2 LEAP Academy consisting of 2 days to be held in May 2014 (TBD).
- Access to LEAP’s project website, blogs, and online tools. Cohorts will be expected to share what they’ve learned and success stories through blog posts and podcasts with other cohorts.
- Access to 4 web conferences (each 90 minutes long) on key management topics for skill-building. These are tentatively scheduled for November 2013, January 2014, March 2014 and June 2014.
- Access to e-learning modules on key management/leadership topics.
- Access to a LEAP National Summit in Spring/Summer 2015 (TBD) to network with cohorts from Years 1 and 2 and provide feedback in focus groups for a national mini-report on LEAP Project.
A limited number of scholarships are available to cover the travel costs for the in-person training academies and summit. Priority for selection of scholarships will be awarded to Cohorts from non-OVW funded agencies. If an applicant is selected and not awarded a scholarship, her agency must agree to support her travel costs for the in-person training academies for the Cohort to be accepted into the LEAP Project. (see attached LEAP Application Addendum).
Throughout the year, guest speakers and trainers will educate LEAP Cohorts on topics such as program development, financial and grants management, supervision, leadership, organizational communication skills, etc.,
More information about the LEAP Project and Cohort Selection process are noted in the application [click here to download]. Please share and distribute this application with your WOC colleagues, staff, networks, and listservs.
The Cohort Application deadline has been extended to Thursday, September 26, 2013. We plan to extend the selection process through mid-October and notify selected Cohorts by October 17, 2013. For more information, please contact Rosemary Gonzales at email: firstname.lastname@example.org.