As CALCASA gets ready for the National Sexual Assault Conference taking place this week, Wednesday, August 20 through Friday, August 22, in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, we are excited to share some great events, workshops and places to find us:
- Poised for Prevention: U.S. Sexual Violence Prevention Policy, Wednesday at 3:30pm, by CALCASA’s Ashley Maier
- The Role of Research in The Anti-Rape Movement, Thursday, 1:45pm, by Ashley Maier and Sharon Wasco
- “Public health just doesn’t get it!”: Addressing resistance to a public health approach to sexual violence prevention, Friday 9:15 am, by Ashley Maier, Matthew Huffman, and Jonathan Yglesias
- Join Force: Upsetting Rape Culture’s display of The Momentum Quit across the street at Point State Park on Wednesday, August 20 from 4pm-8pm. The quilt is an ongoing collection of stories of survivors of rape and abuse. From the project:
By stitching our stories together, we are creating and demanding public space to heal. We are building a new culture where survivors are publicly supported rather than publicly shamed.
Learn more at themonumentquilt.org.
- Look for the CALCASA logo in the tabling section and come visit us!
These are, of course, just a few of the many engaging aspects of the National Sexual Assault Conference. Follow the #nsac2014 hashtag and our Twitter accounts (@calcasa, @preventconnect, @sandracalcasa, @davidcalcasa, @denicecalcasa, @leonacalcasa, @ashleycalcasa) for the latest on CALCASA’s NSAC 2014 experience, including pictures!