Date05/23/2023 01:00 PM - 02:00 PM PST
Host(s)Marsela Rojas-Salas (she/her) Project Manager, Jennica Sinor (she/her) Project Coordinator VALOR, Jamila Cervantes (they/them) Senior Program Officer, Jessica Serrano Seipel (she/her) Senior Program Director, Just Detention International
This webinar aims to distinguish the differences between systems and individual advocacy in detention settings. As advocates working to maintain strong relationships with corrections partners and survivors in detention settings, we must consider an array of options for how to advocate for incarcerated survivors in the short-term and long-term. We will provide common scenarios, along with practical, trauma-informed strategies to help navigate individual and systemic barriers that advocates may encounter when supporting incarcerated survivors.
- Define systems and individual advocacy in detention settings.
- Provide strategies for building successful and sustainable relationships with corrections.
- Consider key patterns and common scenarios when building relationships with detention staff and advocating for incarcerated survivors.
- CA Adv. PREA Office Hours: Systems Advocacy in Detention Settings Slides
- (Participant Version) Scenarios for CA Adv. PREA Systems Advocacy in Detention Settings
- (Facilitator Version) Scenarios for CA Adv. PREA Systems Advocacy in Detention Settings
- Developing an Incarcerated Survivor Team
- Desarrollar un Equipo Para Apoyar Sobrevivientes en Centros de Detención