Drawing upon the innovative Paths to Recovery program, which provides confidential rape crisis counseling to survivors of sexual assault at two large California state prisons, this workshop offered a model for how community rape crisis centers can implement similar programs in correctional facilities nationwide. Participants learned best practices and practical skills for providing services to this population of survivors and how to form effective partnerships with corrections officials.
- Linda McFarlane: Deputy Executive Director, Just Detention International (JDI)
- Karin Stone: Project Director, Women’s Center-High Desert, Inc. (Ridgecrest, CA)
- Sergeant Charles Contreras: California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR)
- Lieutenant Maurice Dunlap: California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR)
- Debora Monroe-Heaps: Riverside Area Rape Crisis Center (Riverside, CA)
Below are materials from this workshop:
The Paths to Recovery Model – Power Point
Hope for Healing: Information for Survivors of Sexual Assault in Detention
Fact Sheet: The Basics about Sexual Abuse in U.S. Detention
Fact Sheet: Mental Health Consequences of Sexual Violence in Detention
Fact Sheet: LGBTQ Detainees Chief Targets of Sexual Abuse in Detention
To view a complete list of workshops, speakers and information related to the 2010 National Sexual Assault Conference, click here.