At this years National Sexual Assault Conference in Hollywood, CA, CALCASA hosted a variety of workshops dedicated to Intervention/Advocacy for advocates working with survivors of sexual violence. Among those workshops was Building an Accessible and Safe World: Safety Planning for People with Disabilities.
Does your program offer accessible advocacy services for persons with disabilities? Using the Advocate Guide to Safety Planning for Persons with Disabilities, participants:
- Learned unique barriers facing survivors with disabilities and in the Deaf community
- Acquired techniques for safety planning
- Practiced using the guide Beginning in 2006 through today.
The Safety First Initiative is funded by the Department of Justice, Office on Violence Against Women. Development of the OVW approved Advocate Guide stems from the belief that all Safety First activities and products should promote sustainable systems change with focus on changing organizational culture and fostering change in both survivor services and disability services.
- Angie Blumel – Director of Community Relations, MOCSA
- Lisa Fleming, MSW – Chief Operating Officer, Rose Brooks Center
You can download the handouts for this workshop below:
To view a complete list of workshops, speakers and information related to the 2010 National Sexual Assault Conference, click here.