On Monday, April 4, CALCASA’s Executive Director Sandra Henriquez and Judge Susan Carbon, Director from the Office on Violence Against Women with the U.S. Department of Justice, will speak at the Calif. National Guard Headquarters in observance of Sexual Assault Awareness Month. In observation of April, the California National Guard hosts an annual event to educate Soldiers, Airmen and civilians about the impact that sexual violence has on the military and civilian community, and how agencies, both civilian and military, are addressing this issue.
Speakers at Mondays event include:
- Sandra Henriquez, CALCASA Executive Director;
- Judge Susan Carbon, Director from the Office on Violence Against Women;
- Retired Chief Master Sergeant Robert J. May, California National Guard, Sexual Assault Response Coordinator;
- Major General Mary Kight, The Adjutant General, California National Guard; and
- Beth Hassett, WEAVE Executive Director.
CALCASA is grateful for the opportunity to speak at this event and recognizes that the military is a sector of society dedicated to changing the parts of culture that perpetuate sexual assault. As national leaders, men and women in the military are standing up and saying that this is an important issue, which will not be tolerated. CALCASA is thrilled to see that the military has made this a priority.